Ipswich Choral Society is keen to support local charities, both financially with fund-raising events and by raising awareness amongst ICS members and concert audiences. Our chosen charity for 2019 is the Suffolk Law Centre and we will be helping raise awareness at concerts and community events this year.
Why does Suffolk need a Law Centre?
Suffolk is a legal advice desert. There are no legal aid providers in public law, housing and asylum law currently in the county. Even before the cuts to legal aid caused by Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (LASPO), there were few civil legal aid providers. This means even when people on low incomes are sufficiently aware of their rights to seek help, they have to travel out of the county to find that help.
The Suffolk Law Centre has been set up to empower the people of Suffolk to understand and assert their legal rights. Our new Law Centre will:
- Improve the access to specialist casework and representation in social welfare law (notably in the areas of public, housing and asylum) in Suffolk.
- Improve the level of knowledge about rights, and/or the confidence to enforce them, amongst Suffolk residents.
- Work with local businesses and public bodies to improve the commitment in public institutions in Suffolk to recognise people’s rights and to be held to account.
- We will be a champion for the people of Suffolk and their legal rights.
Get in touch with Suffolk Law Centre
- on website www.iscre.org.uk/legal-services/
- on Twitter @SuffolkLawCen
- on Instagram: SuffolkLawCentreSteeringGroup
- or like on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SuffolkLawCentreSteering/